Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Ginisang Munggo with Crab Balls

It's week 6 quarantine period here in AUH.

Sharing with you my favorite munggo [mung bean] recipe:

But first let's define what ginisa, or gisa means (at least you'll learn a little Tagalog/Filipino as well):

Gisa, maggisa or gisahin [verb] - to saute, to cook in oil, garlic, onions or tomatoes.

Yes I cook while I work because time management :P

Now, I'm really more of a guesstimate/beginner cook but the good thing is whatever I make, it's yummy for Mr. A :P charrrrrr HEHEHEHEEEEE

My recipe is quite simple and straightforward. I don't put a lot of ingredients in it because it's already tasty enough without any meat. Usually we cook it on a Friday and only once every 2 weeks as a precaution against high uric acid levels and crab meat not really a healthy option for Mr. A.

Below recipe is good for 2 if you would like it to last until the following day. Otherwise, you can serve for 4 in one meal.

INGREDIENTS:

2 cups mung beans
1/2 garlic
1 tomato, cut to cubes
1 onion
3 tbsp fish sauce
8 crab balls [frozen] - you can get this from any chinese Baqala or Mini Manila
1/2 tbsp ground black pepper
water


INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Place the mung beans in a pot with water, and bring to a boil [around 30-45 minutes].
2. You can check the beans from time to time, squashing it with your ladle once it gets softer.
3. Using another pan, saute the onions and garlic until brown.
4. Add the tomatoes and fish sauce and cook for at least 5 minutes.
5. Once the tomatoes are thoroughly cooked, transfer everything to the pot.
6. Add the crab balls and ground black pepper.
7. Stir and simmer for at least 10 minutes. Add fish sauce as per taste.
8. Best served hot with 1 cup of cooked rice [diet!]
9. Enjoy!

I only actually learned how to cook via Panlasang Pinoy's youtube account. When I left home I only knew how to cook spaghetti and rice but now I'm proud to say I can cook a little better HEHEHE

Well, baby steps :)

No comments:

Post a Comment